Dance Studio, Dance Teacher & Dance Instructor Insurance

In partnership with:

Identity logo

In partnership with:

Coverwallet logo

icon Your information is secure with us and solely used to connect you to relevant insurance offers, companies and services.

As a dance teacher, you’re constantly in motion. Whether you’re honing your own craft, teaching the next generation of young dancers, or helping to choreograph and produce a large performance, there’s often not a lot of downtime to think about the more technical aspects of running your dance business. 

As a result, many instructors and first-time studio owners are caught off guard when the time to purchase dance instructor insurance comes. It’s common for instructors to have questions about how dance insurance works, what type of dance teacher insurance they need, how much does dance business insurance cost, and how to find affordable coverage and quote. 

So, to help customers better understand dance insurance and the process of applying for it, we’ve put together a definitive guide to help you navigate through the paperwork. It’s time to get moving!

Insurance For Dance Instructors

Depending on the type of dance instruction you do, you may need more or less coverage. For example, a one-on-one dance instructor typically doesn’t need as much coverage as an instructor who owns and manages their own dance studio. If you’ve read our gym insurance and fitness instructor insurance articles, you’ll find that the coverage is quite similar. 

So, in the following section, we’ll clear up the murky waters and explain the different types of insurance for dance instructors. 

Dance Instructor Liability Insurance

All dance teachers who run their own businesses will have to purchase dance teacher liability insurance. Liability insurance, by definition, is designed to prevent you from being held financially liable for various accidents and mishaps that can happen during your classes. These are the most common types of liability insurance policies for dance instructors. 

Public Liability Insurance for Dance Teachers

If you’re teaching dance in your home, a rented studio space, or even your own studio, then you’ll need a public liability insurance policy. This will protect you from most personal injury or property damage claims made by disgruntled students or visitors due to an incident that happened in your rented or owned property. So, for example, if there’s a slip-and-fall accident, or somebody gets their phone stolen in class, you won’t be personally responsible for it. 

Professional Liability Insurance for Dance Teachers

Often referred to as errors and omissions insurance (E&O coverage), professional liability insurance is a must-have for all teachers and instructors. Essentially, it protects you from any claims stemming from malpractice or your teaching style. 

For example, let’s just say that a student is unhappy about their monthly membership and decides to claim that you didn’t teach them everything you promised to. Or, perhaps, they claim that you gave them the wrong instructions. If the claim is legitimate, your professional liability policy will pay out the claim amount so that you don’t have to pay out of pocket. 

Compare Dance Studio, Teacher & Instructor Quotes

Get all the best quotes from leading providers in a click of a button!

In partnership with:

Identity logo

In partnership with:

Coverwallet logo

dance studio

Dance Studio Insurance

If you own or rent a dance studio space, then you’ll likely need to have the following insurance coverages:

  • General liability insurance (includes public liability coverage and product liability coverage)

  • Professional liability insurance

  • Property damage insurance 

How Much Does Dance Studio Insurance Cost?

Generally speaking, general liability insurance for a dance studio costs $38 per month, or $450 per year on average. This assumes that you’re purchasing a $1,000,000/$2,000,000 aggregate coverage limit. While rates always vary depending on business-specific factors, here’s a rough idea of what you can expect to pay for dance studio insurance with some of the leading insurers in America: 

Insurance ProviderAverage Monthly RateAverage Annual Rate
The Hartford$40$477
State Farm$36$430

If you own an extra-large dance studio, then you may need to purchase a general liability policy with up to $5,000,000 worth of coverage, which would be almost double the price. Additionally, if you own or mortgage the building, you’ll need to have a property insurance policy to protect your investment. 

Rank and Review Insurance Companies

Help others make better decisions

Show more

Do I Need Dance Insurance?

If you’ve just started your dance instructor business, then it’s possible that you didn’t even know that you needed insurance. You may be thinking something along the lines of, “Why do I need insurance to teach people how to dance?” If so, you’re not alone. However, we’re here to help you avoid the devastating financial loss resulting from having to pay claims without insurance. 

Given the physical and often strenuous nature of dance, there’s a lot of possibility for accidents and bodily injury to happen. If you run your own studio, you also have to consider that your patrons, customers, and members could get injured within the walls of your studio. This, in turn, could lead to personal injury claims. 

Without proper insurance coverage, you and your dance studio could be held personally liable for any injury or property damage claims. Before you know it, you could be shelling out thousands of dollars in small claims court because a student broke a bone while dancing. 

This is why purchasing insurance is a vital part of starting your small dance business. A liability insurance policy is designed to prevent you and your dance business from being held financially liable for injuries, damage, or other mishaps. If and when a claim arises, your insurance provider will pay out the claim, so you don’t have to pay for anything out of your own pocket. 

Depending on the type of dance business you run, though, the insurance coverage you’ll need may differ slightly. Let’s take a quick look at the main types of dance businesses and the insurance they’ll need. 

Personal Dance Instructors

If you’re a personal dance instructor, then you likely just need to purchase simple insurance for dance teachers. Most personal dance instructors provide one-on-one instruction to clients in their home, a rented studio space, or even outdoors. As such, most personal dance instructors will need to maintain a professional liability insurance policy. You may also benefit from a public liability policy. 

Group Class Instructors

If you’re renting studio space to teach group dance classes, then you’ll definitely need a professional liability insurance policy to protect you as an instructor. This can protect you against claims such as personal injury or sexual harassment that occurs between students while you’re teaching your class. 

Dance Studio and Dance School Insurance

If you own a brick-and-mortar dance studio or school, then your insurance rates are likely going to be higher than an individual or group class instructor. So in addition to maintaining a professional liability policy, you’ll also want to purchase public liability insurance for dance instructors to protect you from bodily injury claims within your studio. 

Additionally, most dance studio owners also purchase a property insurance policy to protect their studio and equipment in the event of natural disasters, vandalism, or other accidents. 

How to Find Affordable Dance Instructor Insurance

Thankfully, dance insurance is nowhere near as expensive as a high-risk industry like roofing, for example. However, it still pays to do your research and look for the best deal to find cheap business insurance

If you want to find affordable dance instructor insurance or dance studio insurance, the best thing you can do is shop around! By comparing rates offered by different business insurance companies, you increase your chances of getting the best deal. In fact, the more companies you’re comparing, the better of a deal that you can stand to gain. 

To get free customized dance business insurance quotes, simply click the ‘Get Quotes’ button below! After following the process and entering some business and contact information, you’ll receive quotes online from some of the top dance insurance providers in the nation, allowing you to choose the best option for your business. So what are you waiting for? Get insured and start dancing!

Compare Dance Studio, Teacher & Instructor Quotes

Get all the best quotes from leading providers in a click of a button!

In partnership with:

Identity logo

In partnership with:

Coverwallet logo

Image source:

Photo by Francesco Tommasini on Unsplash

Recent Reviews

Recent Posts